Sunday, April 17, 2011

Chapter 8: Podcasting, Video and Screencasting, and Live Streaming

Summarization of learning:
Chapter 8 dealt with making your own radio shows, broadcasts, movie clips, and more.  I learned that there are a bunch of free ones on iTunes, but had a little trouble when trying to actually access them.  But I was able to view several other referenced in the book like "Parents" and found another similar one called "Lego Buddies" that was pretty cute with a good message. 
On page 117 the book gave ideas for use in the classroom - the Spanish teacher at my school used Audacity last week to have students record lyrics to a song in Spanish.  Last October I went to the National Science Teacher's Convention and a teacher presented the idea of instead of having student answer lab questions, they would record their voices to go along with pictures that represented what they did in the lab.  It incorporated technology and made sure each student was participation in the lab.  Since I don't own an iPhone, I also learned what the term "Jail-breaking" meant!

Application:
I've thought about having students do the lab write up on our Rock Cycle (melting crayons) lab by recording what they have learned since last year and I guess this would be the one student use idea from this chapter.  I would also like to work on recording some directions for if I'm gone that a sub could play for students, as it's hard to leave science plans sometimes.  I honestly am not sure about this in my science classroom, but maybe something to explore with Advisory students.  Maybe with our Future Cities Unit or with our service learning project H2O for Life?

No comments:

Post a Comment