Sunday, April 10, 2011

Chapter 6: The Social Web

This chapter focused on Twitter and Delicious.  I am familiar with both as I have signed up for our school Twitter account and already had a Delicious account (could use this more, though).  The main thing I learned from reading this is the importance of tagging in my Delicious account.  On p. 85 Richardson states, "we get back just as much if not more" from the web.  This struck a chord as I'm often looking for labs or lessons, but don't put my own stuff out there very much.  I guess I should be willing to give if I'm willing to take!  I never tagged any of my Delicious sites because I didn't understand how that could be important and help others.

Application for the classroom:
I have used Delicious with my Life Science class as they needed to access a couple different websites I had bookmarked for a project.  Our tech people can set the computers to come up with one website automatically when kids log in, but not several.  So I put the pages on my Delicious account and set that to pop up.  Kids could then just click on the sites they needed.  I'm seriously thinking of putting all my bookmarked paged on Delicious and linking my it to my school webpage as our server is slow and unreliable.  However, that has been one of the "when I have time" projects!

I'm also intrigued for with the idea of having kids use cell phones for formative assesment (p. 89) in class.  Again, would have to look at logistics, like our no cell phone policy.  But it would save the district from having to buy devices if we could just have kids use cell phones!

Personally, I'm interested in LibraryThing.Com or Shelfari to get ideas on books that I may be interested in when I actually have time to read again for fun.

A personal goal is to use our Team's Twitter account more to keep kids and parents updated about school!

No comments:

Post a Comment