Sunday, April 10, 2011

Chapter 7: Fun With Flickr

Based on your reading and analysis of the selection, record
Four of the most critical things that you learned from the reading:
1.  On p. 102 Richardson talks about sharing the classroom with student and parents (and even the whole community or world).  Often time I take pictures of students in the classroom, but they don't even see it.  This could be a tool to share with students and parents and possibly as an end of the year slideshow type of thing.  Especially for 8th graders we could compile pictures from 6-8th grade for an end of middle school slideshow.
2.  One thing I may have issues with is constantly uploading pictures so that my account isn't deleted because I haven't uploaded for 90 days.  I think this will especially hard in the summer, so may have to upload something random just to keep it active.
3.  The annotation tool could be very important in a science class.  I like that I could annotate something myself.  It's always a pain when students miss a lab.  Now I could take pictures and annotate them so students would have an idea of what they missed.  Or I could post a picture of it for students to practice annotating in preparation for a test (human body parts come to mind).
4.  The next thing I could interesting is the Creative Commons part of FIickr.  I'm always searching for pictures of volcanoes, clouds, plants, ecosystems, etc to illustrate what students can't see around MN.  This might be a great source of images that I wouldn't have to worry about copyright issues for and students could use them when putting together a project.

Three connections that you made between your teaching and the reading:
1. Model Making p. 104 - another colleague brought an ecology model/lab to our Professional Learning Community this year as she struggled with having the kids understand how to set up the parts in 3-D based on a paper map and understanding it.  I wonder if having the kids look at the Jane Goodall example with annotations first would help them to understand?  Or maybe setting up the Ecology model, taking a picture, putting it on Flickr with annotations and then having students look at it before the lab day would maybe help some of the confusion.  I can't wait to show this to my colleague and brainstorm with her.
2.  I was excited about having the fetal pig dissection on Flickr, but disappointed when I went to look.  There are a couple of good images, which could be used on a particular day to illustrate what the kids should see.  But I was hoping for an actual video that could be used with the whole class of just the kids that missed a particular part. 
3.  I was also very excited about clouds - that is coming up in a week or two.  I think I'll put Flickr up while kids are doing a matching game of cloud types.  Students who finish early can watch the cloud pictures.  I could also do this on the day of the "Cloud in a Bottle" lab before to review cloud types and how they are made and again after to fill time for those done early.

Two connections to other reading (research) or learning you have had related to the topic of the
reading:
1.  This site ( http://blog.simplek12.com/social-media/how-to-use-flickr-in-your-classroom/ ) gave some of the same ideas in the chapter, but also the idea of posting an image and having students try to interpret it.  I like the idea of doing some easier ones to start with and then maybe putting a picture of the Ecology Model on for students to interpret to see if it helps their understanding.  For Current Events, you can click on the map and see what is going on in the world.
2. Jake's site  ( http://www.jakesonline.org/flickrsites.htm ) could be a really useful place to go for not only ideas, but for resources, tools, learning applications, specialty sites, etc.  It helped give me ideas of what I could do with Flickr.

One question you have connected to your practice and your continued inquiry:
1.  I wonder about posting our kids pictures on Flickr.  Am I going to get in trouble for posting pictures of kids on the internet if I don't put names or anything identifying them? 

No comments:

Post a Comment