Summarization of what you learned from the chapter:
One of the golden rules of science teaching is always try a lab on your own before you have a class do it to avoid disasters. The first part of the chapter says basically the same thing about blogs and I think this is something I need to improve on. You don't fully understand the capabilities of a resource until you have played with it yourself.
Another part of the chapter that hit a chord is that we need to show students why it's important to keep blogging and to keep learning. Part of our re-design is to create "life long learners" and in my classroom I try to emphasize why students need to keep learning, especially as new science concepts are developed and refined throughout the years.
I like the ideas for how to start blogging with students. It is generic enough for any content and grade level to at least start with and take it where they want to take it. I now have a lot of questions about my districts policies regarding blogging and how it will work for me!
Application for your classroom:
I always use "Bell Ringer" (warm up) questions to start each class. I'm thinking a good way to start students in my class using the blog would be to post some of these and maybe some links to related sites/blogs that they would have to post on a certain number of times in a unit. Once I get them used to this, then add in some more complex posting/blogging on units later in the year.
I agree with your idea of keeping it simple at first. I think some of the big mistakes we make as teachers is to try and do things "too big" at the beginning. Then when we fail, we give up on the technique without mastering it first. At least, I have seen myself do this. I like your idea of blogging the warm-up questions. You should develop a blog prompt for that and post it here. Who cares if the kids ever see it? At least you are practicing something pretty cool.
ReplyDelete