Based on your reading and analysis of the selection, record
Four of the most critical things that you learned from the reading:
1. "We are no longer limited to being independent readers or consumers of information; as we'll see, we can also be collaborators in the creation of large storehouses of information."
2. In "Extrordinary Changes" it talks about how everything is changing but, "..education has been slow to adapt to these new tools and potentials."
3. On page 5, ..."accounts allow them to be "always on" and always connected. That is their expectation, one that has greatly changed in the past ten years."
4. "Before you attempt to bring these technologies to your students, first be selfish about their use in your own learning practice." I'm glad this class is making me do this, so I will be more comfortable using it with students when I get there!
Three connections that you made between your teaching and the reading:
1. I feel pretty saavy in consuming information off the web and having my students do the same, but I have not been good at the creating of information or having my students create info.
2. Maybe new teachers feel better about sharing on the web, but when I first started everyone said, "be careful, you'll be fired if you use technology wrong." Many teachers (myself included) decided to stay away rather than risk being fired or otherwise getting in trouble. Since I've joined Facebook I realize it's not all "bad" like I felt I was being told and am more open to trying things.
3. If students are expecting to be connected and schools ban them from this connectiveness, I think we are losing them. Makes teachers seem even more out of date.
Two connections to other reading (research) or learning you have had related to the topic of the
reading:
1. I kept thinking back to Tech Bytes that we used to be able to take in August. This is where I would add in more technology to my class, but find it harder now that there is not actually time set aside for it. Wish there was more PD available for tech stuff.
2. Twitter - our school just set up Twitter and our team did on Friday. So I'm learning how to set up the account and Tweet while taking this class!
One question you have connected to your practice and your continued inquiry:
1. As I have been trying to figure out which units/topics this would fit best with, my main question has been how will this logistically (time, computer lab availability, how much instruction for students, how many posts, etc) work in my classroom?
I had a couple situations last year where I tried to do something online with kids and it was blocked by the district. I think we need to teach them appropriate, responsible use instead of blocking everything all the time. One tool that this happened with was wordle.net
ReplyDeleteit's a very cool tool and I was SO annoyed with the district when I tried to get it unblocked. Not sure what the status is on it anymore.